When is an epidural done? What it is? Epiduralka during childbirth, at Cesarean section
Considering that childbirth is a rather painful process, it is useful for many expectant mothers to know about such an effective and safe anesthesia technique as an epidural. What is it, photos and reviews will tell best, but general information is also necessary to understand the methodology. This type of anesthesia deserves the attention of all women who intend to become mothers.
What is an epidural
This term refers to regional anesthesia, during which the drug is injected into the area along the spine (lumbar spine) with a catheter (thin tube).
Epidural anesthesia is carried out in this place by chance: there are nerve roots that transmit impulses from the pelvic organs and the uterus, inclusive.The drugs that are injected into the lumbar spine completely block the transmission of pain impulses to the brain. This anesthesia is very important during childbirth, because it allows a woman not to feel contractions. At the same time, the ability to move independently.
The difference of epidural anesthesia from spinal
Often, these methods of anesthesia are confused. This is due to the fact that they are very similar. Understanding what an epidural is during childbirth, it is worth noting the following fact: in this case the medicine is injected into the epidural space, and in the process of spinal anesthesia into the spinal fluid.
In addition, the spinal technique involves the use of a thicker needle. As for the cost of epidural anesthesia, it can fluctuate within 3-5 thousand rubles.
The mechanism of
In order for doctors to carry out the puncture, the woman sits down, bending her back or takes a prone position on her side. This is to ensure free access to the spine. At such a moment it is important not to move, especially when the doctor inserts a needle. This process is accompanied by pain, provoking a woman's natural reaction - deviation to the side. But this is not worth doing.
The place where the puncture will be made is treated with a solution that has an antiseptic effect. The next step, the doctor introduces the usual anesthetic. This procedure is necessary to reduce the sensitivity of the skin in the area of the puncture, as well as subcutaneous fat.
The next stage of anesthesia is the introduction of a needle into the epidural space of the spine. Moreover, it is deepened until it reaches the level of the dura mater.
Studying the topic "Epiduralka, what it is", you should pay attention to the following fact: sometimes in the process of anesthesia, contractions can begin. In this case, you need to immediately say about your state of health, and the procedure will be stopped.
In principle, a woman should tell an anesthesiologist about any changes in her condition. We are talking about dizziness, nausea, numbness of the tongue or legs, etc. It is important to pay attention to this, since there should be no such changes in well-being.
If during the insertion a woman feels a backache or leg in the back, then you should not worry - this is a consequence of the needle touching the nerve root.
If there are no abnormalities, a thin silicone tube, also a catheter, is drawn through the needle inserted into the lumbar section.It is through her in the epidural space received painkillers. The tube remains in the body until the desired effect is obtained, that is, a complete lack of sensitivity in the pelvic region.
Speaking about what an epidural is, you should pay attention to the possibility of movement with the catheter in the lower back. But this should be done carefully. By the way, the tube will remain in the back and during childbirth, so this fact should be treated calmly.
The needle before delivery is removed from the back, and the remaining tube is attached to the body with an adhesive plaster. After that, a trial introduction of an anesthetic medication is carried out to check the woman's reaction to medications. As a rule, Novocain, Lidocaine and Bupivacaine are used as anesthetic.
After successful completion of labor, the catheter is removed from the back, and the puncture site is sealed with adhesive tape.
When can I start anesthesia?
The uniqueness of this technique is that its use is permissible even after the onset of labor. In this case, the most favorable moment for the introduction of drugs into the epidural space is the time when the cervix has already opened 5-6 cm with strong and continuous contractions.
In this state, "Oxytocin" is injected, provoking more active contractions, as a result of which the cervix dilates. But this drug leads to a very painful sensation. In order to alleviate the condition of the woman in labor, an epidural is used. That this means of pain relief is effective has been proven by the experience of many women. Moreover, this technique helped hundreds of patients after childbirth (stitching, etc.).
Obvious advantages of the technique
Those for whom the question “Epiduralka, what is it?” Is relevant, should pay attention to the obvious advantages of this method:
- This type of anesthesia works very quickly. From the moment the catheter was inserted, it took only 40 minutes to complete anesthesia, and often less.
- Epiduralka can be defined as one of the most powerful and effective methods of anesthesia.
- If blood pressure rises during labor, drugs administered through a catheter can reduce it.
- A woman is conscious throughout all stages of childbirth and does not feel any pain.
- If a decision is made on the use of caesarean section, the effect of epidural anesthesia can be enhanced at any time with more powerful anesthetics.
Features of action of drugs
It is important to note, paying attention to such a tool as an epidural, that it is a fairly painless and comfortable method of administering anesthesia. It takes an average of 10 minutes to puncture and install a catheter. Twice more time will be needed for the drug to take effect. You should not be afraid of the fact that the needle will come into contact with the surface of the spine - this procedure will not cause negative consequences.
It is important to pay attention to possible methods of drug administration. There are only two of them:
- Single. Sometimes it is repeated 2 hours after the first injection of the anesthetic. In this case, a woman is not recommended to get up. This is due to the fact that, under the influence of drugs, the vessels of the legs dilate and blood flows out towards the lower extremities. If you get up at such a moment, you can lose consciousness.
- Continuous. The drug is administered in small doses at short intervals.
Initially, it is important to understand that there are no unambiguous criteria for assessing the relevance of such a technique as an epidural. That this tool is quite effective, is known to many, but the main indication for use, perhaps, is the prognosis of difficult labor, at which there is a risk of severe pain.
In other words, this technique is necessary for anesthesia for difficult labor.
Based on this principle, it is possible to determine more accurate indications for the use of epidural anesthesia:
- The presence of concomitant disease in the mother. These may be problems with the respiratory system, which do not allow the use of inhalation anesthesia, or an allergic reaction to medicinal cocktails used in the process of intravenous anesthesia.
- Relevant information that such an epidural, with caesarean section. Any surgery during childbirth implies a strong pain that needs to be neutralized. Therefore, anesthesia is indispensable.
- Discordination of labor. We are talking about a condition where the contractions are painful, frequent, but do not bring results because of non-simultaneous contraction of the muscles of the uterus. In the case of epidural anesthesia, this problem is neutralized.
- Answering the question “Epidural - what is it and when is it relevant?”, It is worth noting the following fact: this type of anesthesia is actively used to lower high blood pressure during labor.
There are situations in which the use of epidural anesthesia can not be called relevant:
- inflammatory processes in the area where the puncture should be made;
- high intracranial pressure;
- loss of consciousness;
- an allergic reaction to the anesthetic used;
- violation of blood clotting;
- spinal deformity;
- general blood infection (sepsis);
- severe mental and neurological diseases.
Can epidural anesthesia affect the condition of the newborn
The vast majority of specialists in the field of medicine agree that the newborn is not at risk during the epidural. The bottom line is that anesthetics do not penetrate the placenta and therefore are not absorbed into the baby’s blood.
As for the effect of the anesthesia process on the course of labor, it is insignificant. That is, do not be afraid of any negative consequences.
For those who need to thoroughly understand what is an epidural during childbirth, the reviews will very quickly help to understand the essence of the process. But in any case, it is obvious that this type of anesthesia is one of the most effective and safe.