What is a system unit?
The system unit (commonly called it "sistemnik") is the so-called brain of a machine, which is considered a functional element that protects the internal components of a computer from external influence. To understand what a system unit, you need to consider its main functions. With the help of it, the necessary temperature mode inside the case is maintained, the electromagnetic radiation generated by the internal modules is shielded. The main function of the system unit is also the processing of various kinds of information. Its appearance may be different, in general, it may depend on the load for which the system unit is designed. Photos of the standard system unit:
An important characteristic of each system unit is speed, which is primarily determined by the clock frequency. It indicates exactly how many elementary operations the microprocessor performs per second.
Four types of memory
The user of each personal computer should also be aware of the four types of memory with which the device of the system unit works.
Permanent memory or memory ROM is unchangeable memory that is given along with the computer. It is stored in the program, which test the computer after it is turned on. Also, the operating system is loaded from this memory.
RAM or RAM (RAM) is primarily intended for temporary storage of data during operation.
There is an internal permanent memory, that is, a hard disk drive (hard drive), which is designed to permanently store the necessary information.
External removable memory is portable. Removable memory is provided by laser disks, magneto-optical disks, portable hard drives and flash cards.
"Stuffing" system unit
Consider in more detail the composition of the system unit. It consists of:
- The motherboard, which is an element of the PCB with chips, various connectors, slots. It also includes various types of expansion ports.
- The processor, of which Pentium 4, Athlon, Duron and Celeron are considered to be the most common.
- Videocards. With its help, an image is displayed on the monitor, graphics are processed, and polygons are counted in games.The parameters of the video card itself are characterized by the amount of its memory, the core frequency and the type of memory.
- A sound card designed mainly for outputting sound through speakers or headphones.
- RAM, which ensures fast operation of the computer. The more RAM your PC has, the better it will handle the information.
- Hard drive
- A network card with which you can establish communication between a computer and other computers, peripheral devices, a local network and the Internet.
- DVD and CD drives that are designed to read DVDs and CDs.
Consider also the main form factors of system units. By form factor is meant a standard that sets the overall dimensions of the entire system unit. It also describes additional technical characteristics, for example, the shape, type of additional elements, their position and orientation.
The main form factors of the system unit
Horizontal (dimensions are in centimeters):
- Desktop (53.3 / 41.9 / 15.2);
- SlimLine (40.6 / 40.6 / 10.1);
- UltraSlimLine (38.1 / 35.2 / 75)
Vertical (dimensions are also in centimeters):
- MiniTower (15.2 / 43.2 / 43.2);
- BigTower (19 / 48.2 / 82,);
- MidiTower (17.3 / 43.2 / 49).