Where is the spleen? We learn before the development of diseases
Many people do not know where the spleen is, tothe occurrence of diseases, the manifestation of which is splenomegaly, or its increase. The largest organ of the lymphoid system is located on the left in the upper abdomen, approximately between the kidney, stomach and intestine.
The work of the spleen in the body
The spleen, having a length of 9-13 cm and a width of 6 to 9 cm, performs important functions in the body:
- Removes from the blood of old and damaged red blood cells.
- It is the source of the formation of lymphocytes and antibodies.
You need to know about where the spleen is, althoughwould be because it regularly cleans and renews the blood composition, and therefore directly affects the state of the whole organism. This leads to frequent damage to the body as a result of other diseases.
The contours of the organ that protrude to the pelvic levelindicate that the size of the spleen has doubled. The consequence is enhanced filtration of blood - under the bombardment are also healthy cells. Reducing the number of lymphocytes leads to infections, red blood cells - to anemia, and platelets - to bleeding. Therefore, about where the spleen is, remind many symptoms.
Signs of trouble in the spleen
Primary (congenital) diseases of the lymphoid organare rare. The weakness of the ligaments provokes the spleen wandering - its descent under its own weight. Twisting the legs of the spleen is the result of pathologies of development. These defects are corrected surgically.
Secondary diseases are a consequence of the role of the spleen in the body:
- Infarction (partial necrosis of tissues) due to excessive accumulation of cells in the organ on the background of leukemia (an increase in the number of mutated white cells) or infection (an increase in the number of other elements of the blood).
- Abscesses or suppuration occur after a heart attack or abdominal infections (endocarditis).
- The cyst and benign spleen tumor havedifferent nature. The cause may be a proliferation of vascular or lymphoid tissue, the accumulation of serous fluid after trauma, as well as parasitic infections (echinococci). Cyst formation is a long process, during which the location and functions of neighboring organs change under the pressure of an enlarged lymphoid organ.
- Cancer of the spleen is rare, and most often the cause is the growth of immature connective tissue (sarcoma). Pain in the hypochondrium, giving in the shoulder - an occasion to visit the doctor.
What are the pains talking about?
Pain in the spleen indicates acute infections orto a significant increase in its size, as well as an inflammatory process. Splenomegaly brings a variety of secondary signs, reflecting the deterioration of the body: a decline in strength, inhibition, deterioration in appetite.
If about where the spleen is, promptsits increased size, you need to know that this can indicate a variety of conditions: accumulation of fluid in the peritoneum, cirrhosis of the liver, granulomatosis, various severe infections (typhoid, smallpox, measles, syphilis), leukemia, leukopenia or a reduction in the population of white blood cells, and on diseases of the heart and blood vessels.