The Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Khamovniki - the shrine of Moscow
The Church of St. Nicholas in Khamovniki isa historical monument of our state. In order to understand what this structure is, you need to know its history, to understand when, by whom and why it was built.
Khamovniki - a historical settlement on the outskirtsMoscow weavers who came from the Tver region in the XVII century on the orders of Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich. The name of the sloboda was obtained according to the fabric produced here "boor", which was a linen cloth of good quality.
The population of the settlement enjoyed certain privileges. In particular, they paid low taxes and were exempt from compulsory work for other Muscovites.
It was in Khamovniki a little later, under Tsar Peter I, that the first linen factory appeared, which was conceived by him to provide military needs, and which then grew into the largest enterprise in Moscow.
Temple of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker
Our ancestors knew that "with God at least for the sea, andwithout God to the threshold. "Therefore, any history of resettlement is connected with the construction of a new place of the temple.The mention of Khamovnaya Sloboda dates back to 1624. The first church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Khamovniki was built in 1625. But already in 1657 the population of the settlement was erected stone temple.
The present temple of St. Nicholas in Khamovniki wasbuilt in 1682 a little apart from the original church. The crown on the cross of the dome says that during the construction of the building the means of the imperial family were used. This temple was built and consecrated in the reign of Fedor Alekseevich.
Architecture in the XVII century is a transition fromOld Russian architecture to the order system in the Russian temple construction, which brought the subsequent reign of Peter I. The temple of Nicholas the Wonderworker in Khamovniki bears numerous elements of the Naryshkin baroque, but in general the image of the temple still conveys the ancient Russian traditions of construction. This is a majestic and elegant building.
The style of the Naryshkin Baroque actively usedcontrasting colors in the materials of the facade. It is noteworthy that the bright brick tiles of the church in Khamovniki currently have the same colors as in the distant 17th century.
The fire in the domestic war of 1812 destroyedinterior decoration of the church. Wall painting, icons, documents of the time were not preserved. In 1849 the church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker was restored. True, in the corresponding style at the time.
In Soviet times, surprisingly, the church in Khamovniki was not closed and was a refuge of believers in the heavy time of the God-defending and atheism. And the bell tower of the temple kept its bell.
Shrine shrines in Khamovniki
Each church has its particularly revered shrines, especially a temple with more than three hundred years of history.
In the temple especially revered are:
- Icon of the Virgin, called "Sporuchnitsa sinners" - a list of the miraculous icon, dating from 1848;
- Icon of St. Alexis, Metropolitan of Moscow, the image was painted by Ivan Maximov in 1688;
- A list of the icon of the Holy Mother of God, called "Smolenskaya", dating from the 17th century;
- Icon of the holy martyr John of Warrior, dating from the 18th century.
Icon of the Blessed Virgin, called "Sporuchnitsa sinners"
The image of the Mother of God "Sporuchnitsa sinners" became famousmiracles in Odrinsky monastery Orel province in 1844. Before the icon, faded and dusty, forgotten in a dilapidated chapel among other dilapidated icons, at the request of the merchant's wife, a moleben was served. After the prayer the son of a woman, subject to seizures, recovered. The icon was moved to the temple, and other miracles followed.
In 1846 the Odinsky Hieromonk was sent tothe capital for making a garment for a miraculous icon. While in Moscow, the hieromonk stopped at Lieutenant-Colonel D. N. Boncheskul. And over time the brothers of the monastery in gratitude for the hospitality of Lieutenant Colonel sent a list with the miraculous image. This list is also famous for miraculous healings, and in 1848 donated D.Boncheskul icon in Khamovniki, in St. Nicholas Church, which was a parishioner.
Soon an unusual glow began to appear in the altar of the temple in the high place, which was noticed through the window in the altar. Icon myrrh-streamed and famous for its numerous miracles.
This list from the icon is preserved, and today you can also join and pray to the Mother of God in Khamovniki, in the church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker.