Osteochondrosis of the spine: symptoms, treatment, prevention
Not everyone will say that he did not have to feel pain in the back. This extremely unpleasant problem overtakes everyone. It is not scary if the pain is caused by hypothermia or muscles pulled. Much worse, if the pain is a symptom of a disease of the back. That is why I will consider the symptoms and treatment of osteochondrosis of the thoracic, cervical and lumbar spine at home.
What is spinal osteochondrosis
Osteochondrosis is a degenerative-dystrophic disease of the spine, affecting intervertebral discs. Without treatment, it extends to the bone structure and ligamentous apparatus.
The cartilage tissue underlying the intervertebral discs is slowly recovering. Therefore, disks affected by the disease are doomed to destruction. At the same time, it is almost impossible to reverse the disease. If the disease has manifested itself, it is possible only to stop further development.
It is believed that osteochondrosis - the cost of humanity for the ability to walk.As practice shows, four-legged animals do not suffer from the disease. It is difficult to say for what reasons the disease appears. Doctors argue that the development of contributes to the wrong distribution of the load on the spine with a weak ligamentous apparatus and muscle corset.
This view is confirmed by the methods of treatment of osteochondrosis, which are based on bringing the ligaments and muscles to a normal state. Therapy involves training the muscles.
On the basis of the facts concerning the development of the disease, physicians compiled a list of the causes and factors that provoke the development of the disease.
- Sedentary and sedentary lifestyle, contributing to the weakening of the muscular system of the back.
- Physical exercise.
- Back injuries.
- Hereditary predisposition.
- Improper posture and prolonged inconvenience.
- Disturbed metabolism.
- Lack of vitamins, trace elements and nutrients in the body.
I will focus your attention on the last paragraph. Even if you lead a healthy lifestyle and choose active recreation, the likelihood of osteochondrosis will still remain high due to a deficiency of nutrients. The problem is key because not all people eat right.They prefer hot dogs and delicacies, from which the body is unable to extract something useful. The problem is aggravated by a sedentary lifestyle.
We focus on the symptoms and treatment of osteochondrosis at home, depending on what part of the spine is affected.
How to treat osteochondrosis of the thoracic spine
Thoracic osteochondrosis causes great damage to organs associated with the spinal cord, located at the level of the affected thoracic region. Disturbed work of the spine badly affects the mobility of the limbs and torso, adversely affecting the work of the respiratory muscles and pelvic organs.
Thoracic osteochondrosis is more common in people who do not move much. As a result, the spine does not receive dosed loads, which disrupts the recovery process of the disks. If you slouch or suffer from computer addiction, it contributes to the development of the disease. So regularly practice therapeutic exercises.
- Thoracic osteochondrosis is accompanied by burning and aching pains. There is a feeling that the chest squeezes.Feeling the processes of the vertebrae, a person experiences local pain, aggravated by the turns of the body, deep breaths and loads of axial type on the spine.
- In some people, the progression of the disease is accompanied by pain in the area of the shoulder blades and the lower chest. The appearance of the symptom contributes to the displacement of the ribs. When the body turns, the pain increases.
- As for the internal organs, the functions are impaired by compression of the nerve roots. In the thoracic region there are structures that are responsible for the innervation of the kidneys, heart, liver and other organs. For this reason, there are no characteristic symptoms of chest osteochondrosis.
Now let's talk about diagnostics. Of great importance in this matter is X-ray examination. The picture of the chest easily recognizes a decrease in the height of the intervertebral discs. It helps to detect osteophytes and sclerosis of the switching plates.
With the help of computed tomography, the state of the vertebrae is determined, the size and localization of the hernial protrusion is determined, the dimensions of the spinal canal are established. As part of the differential diagnosis, anamnesis is collected, and clinical signs of the disease are compared with symptoms of diseases.
- Treatment of chest osteochondrosis is conservative. The cause for treatment is visceral syndromes with neurological disorders. Orthopedic treatment is reduced to stretching the spine.
- Drug treatment involves the implementation of paravertebral blockade by means of a solution of novocaine. If the disease is exacerbated, use sedatives and analgesics. In the case of unexpressed pain, the patient applies anti-inflammatory drugs and ointments.
- After the removal of acute events, the back and lower limbs are massaged. Manual therapy is considered appropriate for the first three degrees of osteochondrosis. However, it provides a rough and mild effect on the dorsal muscles.
- With the help of physical therapy at home on the spine are dosed loads, which speeds up the recovery process. Vertical loads are contraindicated. In the framework of the sanitary-resort stage, hydro-massage and traction under water are used. Ultrasound, inductothermy and salt bath helps to achieve results.
Surgical treatment, providing for surgical intervention, is carried out in cases where the disc fragment is squeezing the spinal cord.
Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine
The disease is characterized by degeneration of intervertebral discs, accompanied by a decrease in height, speedy growth of the marginal osteophyte and the appearance of seals.
Cervical vertebra close to each other, and the muscular skeleton is poorly developed. Therefore, muscular osteochondrosis, even with minor loads, causes the displacement of the vertebral discs, which squeeze the nerves and blood vessels.
The cartilage tissue affected by the disease becomes bone formation. As a result, the disk hardens, and its size decreases. The result is that the vertebral discs lose their cushioning properties, which leads to pressure on the nerves and contributes to the appearance of pain.
Symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine
- Headache and dizziness. The main symptom of the disease is headache. This is due to the pressure that is applied to the vessels of the head and neck. Pain syndrome brings discomfort and reduces performance.Vertigo appears with sharp bends in the head.
- Pain in the chest and upper limbs. It is oppressive and burning. In the upper limbs, pain syndrome is accompanied by numbness and tingling.
- Numbness of tongue. The symptom is due to the limited mobility of the tongue. Therefore, many people with osteochondrosis complain that the tone of the vocal cords changes, as does speech.
The diagnosis of the disease is carried out by doctors, including an orthopedist and a neurosurgeon. Doctors examine the patient, carefully examining the vertebra in different positions. To determine the level of damage is applied a special scheme.
Localization and the degree of pain is determined by palpation of the spine. In this case, bending, bending and turning the torso helps to know the amplitude of movement. Further diagnosis involves x-rays, computed tomography and MRI.
How to treat
- It is accepted to treat ailment with conservative methods oriented towards the elimination of pain, the restoration of normal operation of the spinal roots and the prevention of dystrophic changes in the spine.
- If conservative therapy is ineffective, based on the evidence, surgical treatment is performed depending on the manifestation of the disease and the level of the lesion.
- Treatment depends on the severity of osteochondrosis. Most often, the initial stage of therapy is accompanied by an increase in pain in the neck, but later it is stopped by medication, physiotherapy and therapeutic massage.
- Gymnastics helps to alleviate the pain and exercise. Exercise therapy strengthens the muscles of the neck, resulting in a reduced likelihood of relapse.
- As an example, I will give a simple exercise. Turn your head gently to the side, freeze for a moment, make a turn in the opposite direction. When doing the exercise, look ahead.
- Massage helps reduce discomfort. The procedure lengthens the spine and stretches the muscles. After the massage, the neck must be lubricated with a special oil, which contains pain-relieving drugs.
This disease is not a sentence. With the help of medical treatment, gymnastics and massage, you can improve your well-being.
Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine
The disease occurs frequently and everyone is affected, regardless of gender. Everyone felt unpleasant pain in the legs, lower back and sacrum, which brings discomfort and discomfort.
The symptomatology of the disease is extremely extensive. Some signs are not related to the spine at all. These are numbness of the extremities, pain in the abdomen, impaired work of the urogenital system.
Treatment of these symptoms without prior verification of the spine contributes to the development of the disease.For this reason, it is recommended to take into account all the symptoms, consult a specialist and forget about self-treatment.This is not a fight with a cold. It is about the mobility of the body.
Symptoms of osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine
- The list of the main signs of lumbar osteochondrosis is small. It includes: numbness of the limbs, pain in the legs, intermittent pain in the lumbar region after a fall or physical exertion.
- The symptoms that I have listed are often manifested to a small extent, while the ailment is progressing. Health should be treated as carefully as possible and, if necessary, consult a doctor.
- Lumbar osteochondrosis requires a comprehensive, intensive and prolonged treatment, especially if we are talking about a neglected case, accompanied by intervertebral hernia.
Modern reflex methods allow for effective therapy of lumbar osteochondrosis without complications and with great benefit. It is only necessary to remember that quickly solving a serious problem is unrealistic, and only an individual approach will help to achieve a result.
The treatment of lumbar osteochondrosis at home is based on manual therapy, acupuncture and vacuum therapy. Procedures help restore blood circulation and eliminate congestion in the spine. As a result, the process of tissue regeneration is accelerated.
The use of these procedures during the fight against osteochondrosis is combined with taking medications that improve the balance of intervention and metabolic processes. Reaching goals is impossible without an active lifestyle and proper nutrition.
Special attention is paid to fighting obesity, if there is a problem. Excessive pounds load the spine and contribute to the development of the disease.
For many years of practice, physicians have accumulated a decent experience in the fight against the scourge. As a result, in most cases, therapy provides the effect without surgery and helps to improve the lower back.
How to prevent osteochondrosis?
In conclusion, I will share ways to prevent and prevent osteochondrosis. If there is already a disease, I do not recommend lifting weights weighing more than ten kilograms.
- If you have to work hard, drink liquids before you begin physical work. Even tea or coffee will do. A dehydrated organism cannot provide the intervertebral discs with sufficient water.
- Periodically massage your back with simple movements. This technique will disperse the blood and accelerate metabolic processes. If you are going to lift weights, use a weightlifter belt or a belt.
- Do not hold heavy things on an outstretched arm, as the load on the spine increases. To raise an object, squat down on your haunches and stand with it, keeping the spine in a straight position.
- If during work the spine received a load, at the end hang a little on the horizontal bar so that it stretches.For extended periods of time, use this technique periodically. In the absence of such an opportunity a good stretch.
- Always distribute the load evenly. Carry bags in both hands, and large objects in front of you, holding close to the body. If you are going to transfer the thing to another person, do not do it on outstretched arms. Even if you have a full kettle in your hand, I do not recommend neglecting this rule.
- If you have to move the gravity a long distance, use a backpack, a small trolley, a suitcase on wheels or a bag.
I hope that with this information you will save your back and avoid trouble. Good luck!