Juniper ordinary: photo, application in medicine
Juniper is also called belladonna, belladonna Caucasian, kolukha, sleepy stunt, rabid berry, mad cherry, belladonna European, belladonna ordinary, witch's grass, wolf berries.
What is this plant?
Belle is a perennial herb that belongs to the group of strong narcotic poisons. In medicine, this plant is in demand because of the presence of atropine alkaloid in it.
This substance can reduce muscle spasms, reduce the secretion of glands, activate the heart, cause dilated pupils. The Latin name of the demoiselle is Atropa belladonna.
The plant, which has the beautiful name "belladonna", is the strongest poison that can cause painful death. At the same time, it is used as a medicine that can help in the fight against many diseases.
Juniper is a botanical description
Belladonna grows in the Carpathians and some regions of the Crimea and the Caucasus. The plant grows well in loose soils rich in humus. Most often grows in beech forests, but is also found in fir, oak and hornbeam groves. Grow a belladonna can, either singly or in groups. She has special features. The stem of the plant is thick and dense and can grow to a height of one and a half meters. Branched shoot has greenish, less often - purple color.
- The leaves are large, dark green, have a pointed shape. There are many small glands on them. Have a characteristic narcotic smell.
- Flowers of belladonna ordinary, photos of which are presented in the article, bloom in the leaf axils. Inflorescences are located on short pedicels. The drooping corollas of the flower have a brownish-purple color and a bell-shaped form. Closer to the base, the color of the corolla turns a little pale.
- Fruits are berries, shaped like a cherry, but differ in color - they are rich purple, in some cases - black. The berries are juicy, shiny and very poisonous.
- The root system is powerful.In the first year of plant development, a strong rod is formed, after which a branched rhizome begins to form.
This has a plant description. Dalliance ordinary wild at the moment is harvested a little. It is cultivated in a warm and humid climate. The most suitable areas for cultivation are the southern regions of Ukraine and the North Caucasus.
The chemical composition of belladonna ordinary
The most popular in medicine are the leaves of the plant. Its roots are less commonly used. For the leaves of the belladonna, a complex chemical composition is typical, in which there are alkaloids, such as scopolamine, atropine, and hyoscyamine.
In addition, they contain phenocarboxylic and oxalic acids, flavonoids and some other compounds with biological activity.
What is the use of belladonna in medicine?
Medicinal properties of the plant
Atropine (the main alkaloid of belladonna) determines the pharmacological capabilities of the plant. It is able to block m-cholinergic receptors, as a result of which the activity of the digestive organs, reproduction and secretion is reduced, and the vegetative function, which provides the so-called “hit-and-run” reaction, is activated.
In medicine, this plant is used due to the following effects on the human body:
- Antispasmodic effect. Atropine alkaloid can relax smooth muscles. As a result, it is possible to stop spasms of the stomach, bronchi, gallbladder, uterus, bladder.
- Inhibition of gland secretion. Belladonna ordinary (belladonna) contributes to the suppression of gland secretion. Reduces secretion of saliva, sweat. The secretion of gastric juice and pancreatic enzymes is significantly reduced.
- Stimulation of breathing. Derivative belladonna stimulate the center of respiration. As a result, using belladonna preparations, it is possible to suppress bronchospasms, to stop coughing. It is worth noting that overdose can provoke respiratory paralysis.
- Acceleration of the heartbeat. Belly can improve heartbeat. This property is especially useful if a person has a slow rhythm, but it is very dangerous if there is tachycardia.
- Pupil expansion. This property is claimed by ophthalmologists. Promotes certain eye examinations.
- Central effects.Atropine is able to influence higher divisions of the National Assembly. It is poorly expressed, but overdose can contribute to the occurrence of excessive arousal, anxiety, much less often - seizures.
Also demoiselle is used in hematology. With the use of plant raw materials of this plant created tools that effectively eliminate the spasms of internal organs and pain in the heart. In homeopathy, belladonna is used in the treatment of abscesses, gout, mastitis and parkinsonism.
What diseases can be treated using belladonna?
Official medicine uses herbal debris for the manufacture of drugs that can help in the treatment of many diseases. The use of demoiselle in medicine is very extensive.
The main indications for the use of preparations containing belladonna include:
- Pathology of breathing. Drugs containing belladonna effectively suppress bronchospasms and laryngospasms. This effect is due to the antispasmodic effect of belladonna and the ability to suppress the activity of the glands. That is why the treatment of bronchial asthma is highly in demand drugs with this plant in the composition.
- Diseases of the digestive tract.Culture allows to eliminate gastrointestinal spasms, which are caused by gastritis, intestinal colic, ulcers, spastic colitis.
- Heart diseases. The belle helps to eliminate such ailments as angina, bradycardia. It can also cope with a blockade of electrical conduction of the heart.
- Disorders of the endocrine system. The leaf of the demox ordinary is recommended for treatment of the symptoms accompanying the disease, which is characterized by excessive secretion of individual glands. For example, remedies with belladonna can cope with excessive sweating, resulting from a disorder of the thyroid gland.
- Neurological problems. Belladonna can be used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease and vascular dystonia. In addition, drugs with this plant contribute to the treatment of paresis that occurred during cerebral palsy. In psychiatry, they are used to treat depression.
- Diseases of gynecological nature. In this case, the belladonna is used in the form of suppositories for relieving uterine spasms. Such drugs can be prescribed to stimulate childbirth.Allow to regulate generic activity.
- Hemorrhoids, diseases of the urinary system. Suppositories are able to eliminate spasms of the urethra and anus.
Belladonna can also be used in the treatment of intoxication conditions, which are caused by fungi, antidepressants, organophosphates and narcotic analgesics. Quite often, atropine is used in combination with morphine to reduce the negative effects of opium on the body before the operation.
Risk of intoxication
Apply belladonna should be with extreme caution. To use drugs with its content should be strictly prescribed by a doctor and only in those dosages that are prescribed. Any deviation from the prescribed treatment regimen can lead to side effects. They are manifested in the form of dry mouth, difficulty urinating and tachycardia. If similar symptoms occur, it should be immediately reported to your doctor. He will consider the possibility of reducing the dosage or replace the drug with a similar one.
If strong belladonna poisoning has occurred, then hallucinations, clouding of consciousness, constipation, motor agitation, and mental disorder may occur.If you suspect an overdose of drugs containing belladonna, you must immediately call the ambulance. In anticipation of doctors, the patient should put a cleansing enema, give about a liter of a weak solution of potassium permanganate to drink. Activated carbon can also be taken to absorb toxin.
There are several contraindications that are grounds for refusing to take medication based on belladonna. These include glaucoma, hypertension, impaired conductivity and heart rate, bleeding, individual intolerance, intestinal atony, intestinal obstruction, pregnancy (excluding the period of childbirth).
Do not use belladonna during lactation. In plant materials are toxic substances that can easily penetrate into breast milk. For infants, they are dangerous. From this it follows that for the duration of the course of treatment with such drugs it is necessary to abandon breastfeeding.
Consider the pharmacognosy belladonna ordinary.
Medicines incorporating belladonna
Official medicine uses decongestant for the preparation of ointments, tablets and tinctures.Such drugs, due to their high ability to poison, are sold mainly by prescription.
The following drugs are presented in the Russian pharmacies, having in their composition a belladonna:
- "Belladonna extract". Manufacturers offer two types of extract: thick and dry. The tool is used in the treatment of cholecystitis, bradycardia, ulcerative lesions, gallstone disease.
- "Tincture belladonna." This drug is used as an antispastic agent. It is prescribed, as a rule, in pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. In accordance with the instructions for use, take this drug should be in an amount of not more than 5-10 drops. Reception can be repeated, if it is assumed pathology, several times a day. The maximum dose that can be prescribed by a doctor is 23 drops.
- "Bekarbon". These pills can be prescribed for bowel spasms. Most often, you need to take two or three tablets a day.
- "Besalol". This drug is also available in tablets. And it is used as an antispasmodic and antiseptic for gastrointestinal ailments. Quite often it is used for violations of the chair and poisoning.
- Candles "Anuzol".These suppositories, which are based on belladonna extract, have a pronounced analgesic effect. They are prescribed for diseases such as hemorrhoids. They significantly reduce the discomfort that is provoked by the formation of anal fissures.
- Belloid. Available as a dragee. They are used in the treatment of functional disorders of the national Assembly, insomnia, allergies, perevozbudimosti. This drug is widely used in gynecology, if there is a neurogenic violation of the cycle. In addition, Belloid is prescribed during the complex therapy of heart diseases, endocrine diseases, hyperthyroidism, excessive sweating, which causes tuberculosis.
Belladonna candles in obstetrics are very popular. They allow you to soften the cervix, have a positive effect on the regulation of labor. The process of childbirth, due to this, is much easier due to the analgesic effect and faster because of the relaxation of the uterus.
Raw belladonna ordinary used in herbal medicine. About it further.
Use in traditional medicine
Belladonna is rather widely used among traditional healers.Nevertheless, it is always necessary to remember that every part of the plant (without exception) is very poisonous. In the process of making money you must adhere to the recommendations. The slightest retreat can provoke poisoning. In this regard, the independent preparation of drugs using belladonna is extremely undesirable. The best solution would be to seek help from an experienced herbalist. He will be able to properly make the tool and give advice on the correct use of belladonna. Used folk remedies for various violations:
- Joint pain. To reduce discomfort in the joints, it is recommended to use a decoction of belladonna roots. This tool should be rubbed into painful areas or put compresses soaked in this broth.
- Parkinson's disease. With this disease should use decoction of belladonna. It helps to reduce symptoms. After several steps, trembling of the limbs is significantly reduced.
- Tumors, infiltrates. Folk healers report that it is possible to reduce the size of a tumor in the breast by applying to it the belladonna (belladonna) leaves. This procedure significantly improves the patient's condition.In addition, tincture prepared using the leaves of belladonna and taken orally can help in the treatment of cancer, such as ovarian cancer. This drug should be used in conjunction with conventional treatment.
- Prostatitis. For the treatment of such a pathology, not only pharmaceutical suppositories can be used, but also prepared by traditional healers. However, traditional medicine insists that there are means that are much more effective than belladonna.
It is believed that belle can help reduce body weight. However, this property has not been proven.
Testimonials from physicians and patients suggest that treatment with belladonna-based medications is very effective. Nevertheless, one should always remember that the belladonna is a poisonous plant.
The use of belladonna ordinary should be very careful, and its use should strictly adhere to the recommendations of the doctor.