How to replace the ignition switch?
In VAZ cars, replacing a lock is usually not a big deal for both owners with little experience in car repairs and professionals. If your ignition lock is broken and requires replacement, then you just need to have free time and two screwdrivers (curly and simple). Let's take a look at how to replace the ignition lock yourself point by point.
Replacing the lock
- The first step is to remove the plastic lining located on the steering column, performing a decorative function. To do this, unscrew with a screwdriver all fasteners that are located at the bottom of the lining, after which it is easily removed.
- Then disconnect the electrical wiring connected below. Dale turn the key to a horizontal position. After it is necessary to unscrew the two screws with a screwdriver, which attach the lock to the metal casing, which is welded to the steering column.
- Then, using a flat-head screwdriver, the pin secures the lock through the side opening at the casing.After this, the ignition lock is very easy to remove from its place.
- To establish a new castle, you will need to perform the same actions, only in reverse order.
Replacing the lock cylinder
Sometimes car owners have a situation when the key in the ignition lock does not turn well or is hardly inserted. In this case, it is worth trying on your own to change the larva of a broken lock. Let's try to figure out how to replace the larva of the ignition lock at home. For self-replacement you will need a number of tools:
- Phillips screwdriver
- watch screwdriver thin
- new larva complete with keys
- a hammer
- thin drill
And now let's analyze your actions directly:
- It is necessary to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery from the battery. Unscrew the connecting screws on the casing of the steering column. You will find two of them near the instrument panel, and two more are near the steering wheel.
- Further, for the lower and upper casing it is necessary to unscrew the screws on the steering column. To open access to the ignition lock, you will need to remove the covers.To get the larva you need to pull the side pin. This is done with a thin clock screwdriver, with a careful tapping of the hammer on it. If the pin does not give in, you need to try drilling out the larva itself with a thin drill.
- If you want to pre-remove the lock itself before replacing the larva, the bolts securing the ignition switch will be unscrewed from the beginning. To do this, use a chisel and a hammer to relax them. Next, using the pliers turn off the bolts. Remove the bracket from the steering column, and then the ignition lock itself, not forgetting to disconnect the electrical connector.
- We turn away the self-tapping screw fastening the ignition relay. Pulling it out from under the panel, be sure to remember to disconnect the connector. The screw is unscrewed with a Phillips screwdriver, then the latch is pressed and the cover is removed. The contact group is also removed, after which the ignition switch is removed.
- Replacing the larva, check how the ignition lock works with the new larva by turning the key. Installing a repaired ignition switch is performed by performing the same steps, only in reverse order. Now you know how to replace the ignition lock.