How to make a cake mastic with your own hands
Cooks use mastic to decorate festive cakes and delicacies. With its help, confectionery is given various forms. Consider how to make a mastic for a cake with your own hands.
Decorations made of mastic will make a work of culinary art out of ordinary cake. From the sweet mass, it is easy to make a variety of figurines, flowers, leaves, and even whole flower arrangements. The most skilled cooks manage to create such beautiful decorations that people honored to try a cake or a pie are sorry to eat them.
At first glance, it seems that cooking high-quality mastic is easy. However, the first attempts of most beginners end in failure. To get a good result, you need to be patient and practice. At first, I recommend experimenting with a small amount of mastic. Ultimately, learn to prepare a plastic mass, which is similar in consistency to clay.
For the preparation of mastic used various ingredients - lemon juice, gelatin, powdered sugar, marshmallows, chocolate and other products. The finished mass is kneaded on a table sprinkled with powdered or starch.
For tinting using dyes natural character - beet juice, spinach, carrots and berries. Factory food colors from the store are also suitable. Use mastic to decorate the cake should be after hardening the cream. It is best to apply the mixture on a dry biscuit or on top of the marzipan mass.
Now I will introduce step-by-step recipes, which I myself use to make mastic.
Vegetable oil based mastic - 2 recipes
Recipe number 1
- Icing sugar - 500 g
- Gelatin - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Protein - 1 pc.
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp. spoons.
- Water - 30 ml.
- Glucose - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- In a small bowl pour an ox, pour gelatin, stir and wait until it swells. After gelatin dissolve in a water bath and cool thoroughly.
- Gelatin combined with glucose, vegetable oil, egg white and powdered sugar. After mixing with a cooking spatula, thoroughly mix the resulting mass to become homogeneous.
- Mastic roll into a ball, put in a bag and leave for several hours.Then knead the mass thoroughly and you can proceed to the molding or rolling.
Recipe number 2
The second recipe is simpler, but the mastic cooked over it is ideal for decorating cakes, biscuits and other pastries.
- Water - 50 ml.
- Gelatin - 2 tsp.
- Icing sugar - 0.5 kg.
- Gelatin pour in a bowl, add water and stir. After dissolving in a water bath and wait until cool.
- Pour gelatin into sifted icing sugar and mix well. The result is a homogeneous mass, which, as in the first case, roll up into a ball and put in a bag.
You got the first idea of how to make a cake mastic with your own hands. As you can see, there is nothing difficult in preparing a sweet mass. Excessive stickiness will help remove the addition of powdered sugar.
The best mastic recipes at home
Culinary mastic is a wonderful decorative material used to decorate cakes, muffins and cakes. Decorated pastries easily become a true work of art. It is not surprising that every novice decorator is interested in how to make mastic at home.
Preparation of professional mastic involves the use of special ingredients, which are not easy to acquire. But this is not a reason for experiencing and frustration. You can cook from more affordable products.
Condensed milk based mastic
The most versatile - milk mastic, characterized by ease of use. It is perfect for wrapping cakes and creating edible shapes. To make such a milk mass at home is not difficult on the basis of condensed milk.
- Condensed milk - 100 g
- Sugar powder - 150 g.
- Powdered milk - 150 g.
- Lemon juice - 2 tbsp. spoons.
- Combine condensed milk with powdered milk and powder. Quicksand sift carefully. Knead the mastic until it loses its stickiness.
- Pour lemon juice into the mass. If the result is too sticky, add a little icing sugar; if it is too viscous, add a mixture of powdered milk and powdered milk in equal proportions.
- It remains to wrap the mixture in a film and keep in the refrigerator for at least twelve hours. Before work, the edible material is slightly heated and kneaded.
Tasty chocolate mastic
Now I will learn how to make very tasty chocolate mastic.If you use white chocolate and dyes for cooking, you will be able to decorate the cake with all the colors of the rainbow.
- Dark chocolate without additives - 200 g.
- Liquid honey - 4 tbsp. spoons.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Add honey and mix well. After solidification of the mass, lay out on a flat surface covered with film.
- Stir the chocolate paste for ten minutes. Then put in the bag and leave for thirty minutes. After the time, the mastic will be suitable for decorating confectionery.
Sweet mass is stored in the refrigerator for two months. If put in the freezer, the shelf life will increase to one year.
How to make mastic from marshmallows
Cake, skillfully decorated with mastic, is considered a culinary masterpiece. It is not surprising, because it looks bright, original and very beautiful. Step-by-step instructions for making mastic from marshmallows, dispel the myth that it is impossible to create a beautiful cake at home. All you need is a ready made decoration and a good cake idea.
- Chewing marshmallow (marshmallow) - 200 g.
- Sugar powder - 400 g.
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Butter - 1 teaspoon.
- Food colorings.
- Put the marshmallow in a container for heating, add lemon juice and butter. Dish with marshmallow in a microwave or oven for about one minute. This time is enough for the marshmallow to increase in volume.
- Add dye, thanks to which the mastic will receive color. You can decorate cakes and sculpt figures using white mass.
- Proceed with kneading. Sugar powder add a little and mix well. When mixing with a spoon becomes difficult, put a lot on the table, add powder and knead until it loses its stickiness.
- Put the finished paste in a plastic bag and send it in the refrigerator for a few hours, so that it will lie down. You can keep in the refrigerator until it is required.
- Before use, warm slightly in the oven and knead again. Then it will be suitable for decorating Christmas cakes and sculpting sweet figures.
I am filled with hopes that after reading the instructions, you will not have difficulty decorating the cakes. In addition, this small cooking tool will be an excellent base for experiments.
Many housewives use marshmallows called marshmallows for making mastic. He sells not everywhere, unlike the usual marshmallow.
Marshmallow mastic is perfect for creating original and unusual decorations that are often found on cakes. We are talking about various figures and edible products of arbitrary shape. Cake decorated with such figures is a wonderful gift for the New Year or birthday.
- Marshmallow - 200 g
- Icing sugar - 300 g
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Divide the marshmallows into halves, which are heated in a microwave. Twenty seconds is enough.
- Combine the marshmallow with lemon juice, powdered sugar and mix well.
- Wrap the sweet substance in the film and send in the refrigerator for about forty minutes.
Agree to make mastic from marshmallow at home just quickly. As a result, from it blind various figures, flowers and other objects designed to decorate desserts.
How to cover the cake with mastic correctly
The final part of the article is dedicated to creating figures, decorating cakes and pastry subtleties.If you want baking and desserts to look great, be sure to listen to the recommendations.
To create a clear and beautiful figures need special equipment - curly knives, various cuttings and shapes. The tool helps to create jewelry of unsurpassed beauty.
According to experienced chefs, for making mastic you will need finely ground powdered sugar. As a result, the layers will not rupture in the process of work, which will shorten the cooking time and simplify preparation for the New Year, birthday and any other holiday.
Apply mastic on a dry basis to completely eliminate the possibility of melting material, which is characterized by enviable tenderness. To join the figures, slightly moisten the sweet mass.
To cover the delicious cake with delicate mastic correctly, put the sweetness on a circle with a turning mechanism. It is recommended to roll the mass on a powdered surface up to a thickness of five millimeters. The layer of mastic should be larger than the diameter of the cake.
You can use a rolling pin to place the mastic. Sprinkle your hands with starch. Initially, the layer of sweet mass level on the surface of the dessert, and then cover the sides. To cut the excess, use a knife.
If after making the cake, the mastic remains, put it in a bag and put it in the fridge where it will lie for up to two weeks.
The story of how to make a cake paste with his own hands came to an end. Using recipes and adhering to generally accepted rules, create a variety of delicacies on their own, which, in addition to taste and aroma, will delight you with a beautiful appearance.