Hopper car: models and characteristics
Hopper is a self-unloading bunker-type railway car. It is intended for transportation of bulk bulk cargoes: cement, coal, soot, ore, etc. To automate the unloading process, there are hatches in the lower part of the car through which cargo can be easily unloaded under the influence of gravitational force. The hopper car is operated mainly in the countries of the former CIS and the Baltic States, where the track width is 1,520 mm.
Hoppers are divided into two key groups - closed and open. Closed hopper cars are used to transport goods that require protection from weathering. An open hopper car is used for the transport of goods that do not need to be protected from the environment.
They also distinguish hopper cars according to the method of unloading: mechanized or manual opening of hatches, unloading away from the railway track or into the inter-rail space. The end walls of the hopper are performed with a slope of 41-600.This allows you to remove the cargo from the bunkers by gravity, when opening the unloading hatches.
Closed cars are used to transport bulk cargo: mineral fertilizers, cement, carbon black (carbon black). Basically, unloading is carried out in the inter-flight space with manual opening of the unloading hatches. The grain hopper car is a 4-axle model of a covered car, also used to transport corn and barley. In hopper-cement truck unloading is carried out using pneumatic systems. Covered wagon-hopper for mineral fertilizers is unloaded under the influence of compressed air away from the railroad tracks.
Open bunker-type cars are used to transport coal, peat, hot coke, pellets and sinter. The design of cars for hot products is different from other types of hoppers. In such cars, the side and end walls are not rigidly connected to the supporting frame. This makes the hopper car resistant to high temperatures and greatly facilitates the repair of the body. Basically, open-type hoppers are equipped with a remotely controlled automated unloading system.Unloading is carried out from two sides of the railway track under the action of compressed air supplied from the installation located on the locomotive. Open hopper cars can also be unloaded using rotary tippers, but frequent use of this system significantly reduces the lifespan of the cars.
A separate type of bunker-type cars is a hopper metering unit. This railway vehicle is intended for transportation, dosed mechanized unloading, laying on the way and leveling ballast during construction, repair and scheduled maintenance of railway tracks. The body of the bunker-type metering car, all-metal with four closable discharge devices and the metering unit. When unloading, the frame of the metering mechanism is located above the surface at a height equal to the thickness of the filled ballast layer. The control of the discharge and metering devices is performed by the pneumatic system. When the car moves, the pneumatic cylinders open the discharge covers, the ballast is poured out of the bunker and leveled by the frame of the metering device to a predetermined thickness.
The hopper-batcher is moved by the locomotive.Air into the pneumatic cylinders is supplied from a compressor located in a locomotive or in an escort car. Depending on the technology of the work performed, the ballast can be unloaded in the interpath, in the middle of the path, on the side of the road or on the full width. The work is carried out in compositions of 20-25 hopper-dispensers (metering turntables).
Hopper cars: models
Hopper car for cement transportation:
- 19-758. Specialized for the transportation of bulk cement and other non-toxic, bulk non-toxic granulated construction materials. Unloading is carried out in the inter-flight space
- 19-7075. Similar to the previous model car, but with increased carrying capacity.
Hopper for grain transportation:
- 19-7053, 01, 02, 03, 19765E, 19-7016, 01, 19-7017-03, 04, 06. All models with protection from atmospheric precipitation, slightly differ in carrying capacity. Can be issued with different types of unloading devices. Loading through the upper hatches, unloading in the inter-rail space.
For transportation of mineral fertilizers:
- Models 19-7017, 19-7017-01, 19-7017-05. Weatherproof wagons with top loading for bulk transportation of mineral fertilizers.Unloading in the inter-flight space in special devices. Available with lever or slide unloading device. Internal coating - abrasion resistant, anti-corrosion. In model 7017-05 the bunker is made of stainless steel.
- 19-7017-02 and 19-765. Hopper cars for the transport of bulk non-toxic, non-toxic goods that need protection from precipitation. Loading through the upper hatches, unloading in the inter-rail space.
Hopper car for transportation of pellets:
- Model 20-7032 - for transportation and mechanized unloading on both sides of the sinter path and hot pellets with temperatures up to 700aboutFROM.
- 19-189. The car for transportation and mechanized unloading with the simultaneous dosing and leveling of all types of ballast on the railway tracks with a gauge of 1520 mm. It allows uniform unloading of all types of ballast materials across the entire width of the tracks to a predetermined height, without falling asleep at the rail head.
- Models 19-795 and 19-795-01. Cars for transportation of bulk cargo with top loading and gravity unloading in the inter-rail space.Used to transport bulk alumina, ingots, aluminum ingots, packaged and containerized cargo, for which protection from precipitation is necessary.
Hopper car: characteristics
Averaged technical characteristics of hopper cars for bulk construction (cement) and granular cargo:
- bunker volume - 60 m3;
- loading capacity - 72 t .;
- own weight of the car - 19.2 tons;
- car length along axes - 11920 mm;
- number of hatches: 4 loading and 4 unloading;
- the estimated useful life is 26 years.
- load capacity - 60 t .;
- bunker volume - 33.4 m3;
- own weight of the car is 23 tons;
- movement speed when unloading and leveling ballast 2-5 km / h.
Characteristics of the hopper on the example of the car 19-7017-03 for the transportation of grain:
- bunker volume - 91 m3;
- loading capacity - 71 t .;
- own weight - 22,5 tons;
- axial length - 13720 mm;
- hatches: 4 loading and 3 unloading;
- slide unloading device;
- the estimated useful life is 30 years.
Hopper cars are not self-propelled units of railway rolling stock; the locomotive pulls them along.