Drainage well: types, features of installation and use
Choosing a site for the construction of a residential house, you try to give preference to such land where there is groundwater. This will dig a well and not have problems with drinking. However, the groundwater level can change and the soil becomes swampy. To prevent this, a drainage well is used.
The principle of operation of the structure
First, answer the question of why it is needed. So, the drainage well is a special design with which water is collected and discharged from the site. One or more sewer pipes can be connected to the tank, which can be buried in the ground. In this case, the liquid may be collected in the tank or discharged to the nearest water body.
Naturally, the drainage well must be properly mounted. Otherwise, it will not effectively perform its function. Next, you should consider the products by type and design.
Drainage well can be:
1. Swivel. Its feature is that it must be periodically cleaned with a water pressure. They are usually mounted at the points of convergence or rotation of pipes. The dimensions of this design may be different.
2. Inspection. They are intended to inspect the drainage system, as well as to monitor the state of drainage. Such wells are large and allow a person to climb inside.
3. Absorbency. Their feature is that the water is not removed into the reservoir and is not pumped out of the tank. It goes into the lower layers of the soil. That is, this design has no bottom.
4. Water intake. They are installed in the event that there is no reservoir near the site into which it would be possible to discharge excess liquid. The wells in this case are closed tanks. The water from them is pumped out from time to time and used for household needs.
As for the materials of manufacture, the drainage well, the price of which ranges from 5,000 rubles and more, can be equipped with reinforced concrete rings, metal, even plastic.
Advantages and disadvantages of PVC devices
Among the advantages of the presented products are the following:
- Quick and easy installation (connection).
- Wide availability and reasonable cost.
- Small weight, which allows you to quickly transport the device to the installation site.
However, the plastic drainage well has certain disadvantages:
1. Compared with concrete structures, plastic loses in strength.
2. Due to the fact that the walls of the tank are not very thick, it can lose its shape due to the pressure of the soil. However, this occurs only if you incorrectly install a plastic drain well.
It is quite simple. The product consists of the following parts:
- Luke. Through it you can get inside the system.
- The main part is mine. It is here that liquid is collected.
- Bottom. It does not happen at the absorption wells.
As you can see, there is nothing difficult in this structure. You just need to install it correctly.
How to mount the product?
There are some nuances. First you need to decide on the depth of the well. If the soil is too dense and has a low permeability of moisture, then it should be 3 meters or more. Independently determine such parameters you can hardly.Therefore, it is better to use the services of specialists. As for the size of the tank, then it all depends on the area of your site.
If the drainage well is plastic, then its installation involves the following actions:
1. In the tank, you need to make several holes to which the underwater and discharge pipes will be connected. Most often they are perforated.
2. Further it is possible to be engaged in digging of a trench and holes for capacity. Note that the bottom should be covered with gravel and pour concrete solution. Geotextiles should be placed on top of it.
3. If you do not have an absorption well, then the next step is to install the bottom. If the product has a monolithic structure, then you can mount it entirely. At the same stage, the pipes are connected. Pay special attention to the tightness of the joints. It is achieved by sealing cuffs and bitumen mastic.
4. You can also install a special pump with which you will pump out the collected liquid.
5. After installing the tank, all empty slots should be filled with rubble. This will additionally fix the well.
Then you can lightly sprinkle the device with earth, pre-protecting the cover from getting the ground inside.
Do I need to pump water and how to do it?
Proper installation of the drainage well is an important issue. But it is also of great importance to release it from the accumulated liquid. Otherwise, the well, as well as the entire drainage system, can become clogged and stop performing its function. Further, the risk of waterlogging the site. During intense rains, you can wake up not at home, but in the “floating Venice”.
Pumping water from the drainage well can be done automatically or manually. In the first case, you have to call a vacuum truck. Manual cleaning involves the use of a special pump. You can install it at the stage of installation of the well. If the depth of the structure is small, then you can handle it yourself.
As you can see, installing and maintaining such a design is a snap. It is only necessary to prepare in advance and decide on the type of device. Good luck!