Birch sap - when to collect, benefit and harm
Birch sap is a tasty and healthy drink. As the name implies, it is made of birch. The process itself is simple, if you follow some rules and recommendations to get a tasty drink, and do not harm the tree.
When to collect birch sap
The collection of this wonderful drink engaged in the early spring. The best time is considered the end of March, because it is the period of the vernal equinox. The collection continues until the end of April. Sometimes there is still snow, but the tree is already able to share healing nectar. One can learn about the beginning of sap flow by puncturing a tree in the trunk of a tree. If a small droplet appeared at the puncture site, it means that the juice has gone.
Often the question arises how to properly collect the drink so as not to harm the tree.
When collecting should follow the following rules.
- Do not chop with an ax. To collect the juice, you must make a small hole.To do this, you need a drill with a thin drill. The resulting hole will not be able to cause great harm to the birch. Even if you return to the tree for several years in a row, there will be no trace on this place.
- Do not be greedy. Remember one simple rule - you cannot collect all liquid from a birch tree. This can lead to the death of the tree. The best solution is to choose a few birch trees and collect 1 liter from each each day.
- After the collection is complete, cover the hole with a peg, garden pitch, moss or wax. This will help the birch tree to avoid the penetration of bacteria under the bark.
How to collect the juice - methods and fixtures
People who understand this issue say that the birch of a mature age has a sweeter juice than a young one. After you have chosen a tree for harvesting, move 20 cm away from the soil and drill a small hole. Then attach a convenient collection container at this point. For this purpose, fit a large bottle (about 5 liters) of plastic. What is she good at?
- Due to the narrow neck, different debris and insects will not fall into the container.
- Due to the large volume, it can be checked in the morning and in the evening.
To complete the design you need to adjust the groove.It is necessary for the juice to flow exactly into the narrow neck. To do this, a bunch of grass left over from last year will do. It must be thoroughly washed and attached so that one end exits the hole and the other is lowered into the neck of the container.
Will only periodically empty the tank. Most often this should be done three times a day. It is important to notice in time that the birch is tired and stop collecting.
How to preserve birch sap for the winter
The traditional way to preserve juice for the winter is the most sought after. It is quite simple in execution and requires a small amount of ingredients.
- 10 liters of birch sap;
- 50 pieces of any raisins;
- 0.5 kg of granulated sugar.
- Strain the juice through several layers of cheesecloth before cooking.
- Put the washed raisins in the juice, then the sugar and mix.
- Capacity cover with a special "breathable" cover. It can be made from a piece of cloth or gauze cut.
- Drink leave to ferment for three days.
- Then strain and pour into prepared containers.
Use, harm and contraindications of juice
The drink contains a large amount of nutrients, but, besides its benefits, it also has harmful properties.
Birch sap can break down stones, remove sand from the body, but if it is prohibited to self-cure in urolithiasis. Be sure to consult with your doctor to prevent problems with "serious" stones.
Although the birch sap itself is not capable of causing an allergic reaction, it is sometimes allergic to tree pollen. In this case, the use of the drink is prohibited.
Use in traditional medicine
Birch sap is able to benefit not only the human body, but also to give attractiveness to hair and skin.
When hair loss juice is mixed with a decoction of burdock (root), add vodka. The elixir is rubbed into the scalp. This will help the hair to gain shine and strength, get rid of dandruff. You can use the liquid as a conditioner.
To the skin soaked with vitamins, birch sap wash, rub the skin. This method of preserving youth was known to our great-grandmothers. Juice will help get rid of freckles, age spots. Ice is an alternative way. To do this, freeze the juice and use to wipe the face and décolleté.
What can be made from birch sap
There are many different methods of making juice and using it in cooking. Let's get acquainted with the most common.
- 10 liters of juice;
- some lemons;
- several highlights;
- shivering - 50 g;
- liquid (but not melted) honey.
- Strain the liquid.
- Squeeze juice from lemons.
- Add the yeast to the liquid and throw the raisins.
- Mix everything thoroughly.
- Place in a cool place.
- After 3-4 days you can try. Most often, the drink is ready.
Bread kvass based on birch sap
- 5 liters of juice;
- 50 g of raisins;
- 50 grams of coffee beans;
- half a cup of sugar;
- 2-3 rinds of rye bread.
- Roast coffee beans in a dry frying pan. Dry the bread in the oven, wash and dry the raisins.
- All components pour in a jar and pour juice into it.
- Close the jar with a rubber glove in which a puncture was previously made.
- After a few days, the glove will begin to stir. This indicates the beginning of the fermentation process.
- The fact that the drink is ready to drink can be seen on the glove which has fallen.
Now you can put kvass in the refrigerator.
Dark Big Raisin Kvass
- 3 liters of juice;
- 25 pcs. raisins.
- Strain the juice.
- Throw in a raisin and put in the cold. There he must slowly wander until summer.
The drink has a large number of nutrients. On its basis, it turns out delicious okroshka.
Wine from birch sap
This recipe came to us from antiquity.
- 25 liters of juice;
- 5 kg of granulated sugar;
- 200 g of any raisins. You can use the same amount of wine yeast;
- 10 g of citric acid;
- optional put in wine 200 g of honey (liquid).
- If raisins are used as starter, it is necessary to prepare it in advance.
- Toss in the juice, sugar, citric acid and mix. Then bring everything to a boil over low heat. In the process of removing the foam. The liquid is boiled down to 20 liters.
- Cool down the liquid to 25 degrees, stirring continuously to prevent the formation of a crust.
- In the capacity to throw honey, sourdough (yeast) and pour into the dish, which will ferment.
- Cover the hole. To do this, you can take a glove made of rubber.
- Move the dish with liquid to a dark place. The temperature should be 18-25 degrees.
- After 3-5 weeks, the fermentation process will be over. This is evidenced by the clarification of wine.
Now you can pour the wine into bottles, cover well and place a cold place. The temperature is 10-16 degrees. After standing for 15-20 days, pour again and you can drink.
Useful tips and interesting information
Useful tips will tell you how to store the drink:
- Fresh juice can be stored in a glass container of any volume.
- For storage, you need to rinse the cans with hot water and add 2-3 raisins for every half liter of drink.
- Can be stored in barrels, get a traditional low-alcohol beverage.
How much can you drink per day
Elixir should be taken, given the state of health. Of course, it has a positive effect on the entire body. A healthy person is allowed to use 2-2.5 liters daily. This will help keep the body in good condition.